Wednesday, October 10, 2007

PPS CTP4 VPC DOA

If there weren't enough acronyms in the world already....

A little tip from a colleague who has been working closely with Performance Point Server over last couple of months and had the misfortune to use the Virtual PC from Microsoft to demo the toolset.

It performs like a dog. I can confirm this as I'm watching it "not respond" for no reason after an "indeterminable" amount of time. After somebody complained about this they were told that you have to defrag the hard drive within the virtual PC 10 times. I'm currently on defrag number 5 of 10.....

8 out of 10.....

10 out of 10.....

......

......

......

Well after a little play around I have to admit to some non-scientifically measured performance benefits that have been noted, oh, until it crashed on me with the dashboard designer deciding that the task of saving needed 100% CPU and to deny any interaction whatsoever.

Unfortunately what I cannot answer with any clarity is....

  • 9 clicks will make it perform worse.
  • 11 clicks will make it perform better, or worse.
  • the dashboard designer needs a quad core xenon to save anything......

No comments: