Thursday, May 12, 2005

SQL PASS 2005 - SSIS Performance

As I'm sure you're aware by now SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) is the new version of Data Transformation Services in SQL Server 2005. This is not a simple upgrade but a complete re-architecting of the product bringing it almost in line with other enterprise ETL tools.
The presentation from Grant Dickinson of Microsoft and Henk van der Valk of Unisys was a demonstration, from my perspective, not of the new features but the capabilities of the product in the area of scalability. SSIS likes memory and that was made particularly obvious by the charts and graphs we were shown that showed the 64bit server wiping the floor with the 32bit (as you would expect) and in some cases the 32bit server not even completing the process after hitting its 3Gb process limit.
Another key aspect of the improvements in performance is SSIS's ability to parallelise. You could always get DTS to do this but it was never pleasent. SSIS can now scale up incredibly well and again we were shown screenshots of the processor workload during a package run and it was certainly utilising whatever power it could get hold of.
note: I'm one of these people that tends to believe a screenshot rather than not (ever the optimist).
Any ETL fans out there are going to find plenty that is very familar in their world. The components are standard ETL fare (merge, lookup, etc.) but the one that floats my boat? Slowly Changing Dimension, oh yes. All they need to do now is get the thing cluster / scale out and the top end ETL tools will be well within Microsoft's sights.

6 comments:

Tito Maury said...

I have a
etl certification site/blog. It pretty much covers SQL PASS 2005 - SSIS Performance related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Crazy Dan said...

I was searching blogs for etl spain and found your entry” SQL PASS 2005 - SSIS Performance Its not a perfect match but Tis the season! So I thought I would write. There is lot of info on Embroidery stuff out there. I have been looking to add content to our site about Patterns and Sewing. If you have any good resources please share -- feel free to take a look at our site at etl spain
I just read your blog entry - SQL PASS 2005 - SSIS Performance -- my partner and I are planning on setting up a review website – it will live on the home page of our site etl spain. I am looking for versatility in embroidery machine and setup a comparison. If you can help with any insight or direction that would be great. I am also would like to hear about Academy's courses with hands-on embroidery that people have taken.
I just found your blog entry -- SQL PASS 2005 - SSIS Performance -- I am starting my own blog – you find frequently updated news, commentary, and the latest links about graduate school for applicants, current graduate students, post-docs, and faculty. etl spain If you come across any timely links or stories of interest to applicants, students, and faculty, share them with me -- so I can share them with all of our readers. Please visit us etl spain

Crazy Dan said...

Good morning Steve, I find it quite refreshing to occasionally find a post such as yours with a different topic completely. It somehow ads to ones little list of lifes experiences.

I seem to have a soft spot for blogs related to
# #LINK## and /or sites that have a central theme around submit articles type items. I guess this comes from being a webmaster as well.

Tito Maury said...

Tis the season! I was searching the web and found your entry SQL PASS 2005 - SSIS Performance I really like your site and found it worth time reading through the post. I am looking to publish a comprehensive site ranges many types of historical needlework. All those interested in this area will find this article of interest as it is written from many perspective. Please feel free to take a look at my blog at etl tools and add any thing your want.

Crazy Dan said...

Hi Steve, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on etl spain I somehow ended up on your page. As your etl spain is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I
stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about lighting photography, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

Tito Maury said...

Hi Steve, I found your blog while doing some research on etl certification. I like your blog, thank you for sharing the information and keep up the good work!.
I'll be back to see if you have any posts about etl certification